Firm: Boutin Jones
Location: Sacramento - CA
555 Capitol Mall, Suite 1500
Sacramento, CA 95814
- Tel : 916.321.4444
- Fax : 916.441.7597
- Email : BTaylor@boutinjones.com
Brian has been practicing almost exclusively in the health care arena since 2002. He devotes his practice to advising hospitals, health systems, medical foundations, IPAs, physicians, dentists and suppliers on a variety of business, regulatory and litigation issues.
Brian is the current President California Society for Healthcare Attorneys and is the current Chairman of the Board of Sutter Medical Center Foundation. He is also the former Chair of the Sacramento County Bar Association Health Law Section.
He advises clients in the complexities of managed care contracting, revenue cycle management and regulatory compliance. Brian is particularly active in complex contractual disputes between health care providers and health care service plans. He represents clients in a broad range of lawsuits, among them actions involving ERISA plans, out-of-state payers, leased network PPOs, reasonableness of charges, coding for services, fee-for-service contract terms, capitated reimbursement, risk arrangements, hospital liens, uninsured/indigent policies and unfair competition.
Brian has extensive experience defending providers’ charging practices, including defense of clients in false claims act litigation, opposing requests for refunds from payors, as well as comparing hospital charge structures. He has worked closely with experts in the development of hospital peer groupings, based on their size, payer mix, revenue, service lines and geography, and also in the different data available to compare hospital charges.
He is highly knowledgeable about state laws and regulations concerning providers’ rights and health plans’ obligations, including California’s Knox-Keene Act, as well as the workings of state agencies that regulate insurance companies and health care service plans. Brian has handled numerous other complex business disputes including sales of commodities, trademark, trade secret and construction matters.
Brian also advises clients in various regulatory and compliance issues including licensing, HIPAA, STARK and anti-kick-back laws.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D.
- Brigham Young University, English, B.A.
- Federal District Court, Eastern District of California
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2015 – 2018, 2021
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2009-2010, 2013-2014, 2020
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2017 – 2018
- Graduated law school with distinction, Dean’s Honor Roll
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Former Chair, Health Law Section
- Former Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Board Member California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- 2021-2022 President of California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Education Committee, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- 2021 Chair Diversity Taskforce, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Northern California HFMA
- Former Student Member, American Inns of Court
- Board Member Sutter Medical Center Foundation
- Chairman of the Board 2021-2022 Sutter Medical Center Foundation
Our healthcare practice focuses on advising healthcare entities, including hospitals, health systems, medical foundations, IPAs, physician groups, and payors on a variety of business, regulatory and litigation issues. We have expertise in the complexities of managed healthcare, including Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, the Affordable Care Act and EMTALA, as well California’s Knox-Keene Act, Health & Safety Code, Insurance Code and related regulations. Our attorneys are experienced with the workings of state agencies that regulate healthcare providers, insurance companies and healthcare service plans.
Our healthcare practice offers creative, strategic and practical advice to help our clients resolve legal disputes that invariably arise in today’s healthcare world. We understand the business of managed healthcare and the intricate relationships between hospitals, physicians, health plans, employers and government payors. Our attorneys have a record of successful results in resolving disputes favorably for our clients before litigation or arbitration is ever filed. Once formal dispute resolution is necessary, our attorneys focus on achieving excellent results through mediation, arbitration and litigation, while insuring that dispute strategies are in line with our clients’ business goals.
We have experience before state trial and appellate courts throughout California, the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Central Federal District Courts in California, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the American Arbitration Association (AAA), JAMS and American Health Lawyers Association Arbitration, among other venues.